Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Book Whisperer

Exciting things are happening in eighth grade Language Arts!  My classes have been challenged to read 40 self-selected books this year.  We set aside time during each class to read and the students take their books home to read at night.  The excitement has taken off as students are free to choose books they want to read, rather than one book I select for the class.  We use their books as a basis for class discussions and assessments.

It warms my heart to hear comments like, "Mrs. Fields, I just had to hug my book when I finished it because I'm going to miss it."  Or another student who asked if she could have the book she was reading because it was the best book she had ever read.  I had to apologize to a teacher of another discipline who had to ask a student to stop reading in her class, but secretly I was smiling.

Creating lifelong readers is a beautiful thing.  Won't you join in our challenge?  You will be glad you did!

Teresa Fields
8th Grade Language Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment