Sunday, October 5, 2014

Our Living Constitution - By Mr. Plumb

Our 8th grade Civics & Economics class has been hard at work so far this year mastering the intricacies of our Constitution.  On September 17th, we celebrated the 227 anniversary of our Constitution with the Walton Constitutional Choir singing the classic School House Rock Preamble to the Constitution. Click for video of our WLHW performance (FF to 4:33 for our segment)

Before studying the structure and powers of our government, we spent time exploring what it meant to be a U.S. citizen, as well as the rights and privileges we enjoy because of our citizenship.  Students used free form poetry called Acrostics and poetry loosely based on the Japanese haiku style to express their understanding of the Bill of Rights. Acrostics included lines such as:


Believe what you believe, you can say as you please, with the freedom of RSPAP you don’t have to worry about that.
It’s your right to bear arms just don’t cause any harm just maintain your militia and you may keep going on.
Let no solider in peace have to answer to war, otherwise what would domestic tranquility be for?
Legally with a warrant you may search my house, but if you don’t have anything get the heck out!

Only may you take me if guilty I am, I want to have my Due process or you can get off my land!
First off if I’m charged a trial I’ll expect, give me a witness and a jury before you people have to hurt me.

Really if it’s civil this amendments what you’ll need, get a Civil Jury’s trial in order to succeed.
I believe my bail won’t cost an arm and a leg, all I know is if I’m punished please don’t cut off my head.
Good thing this was made so I can sleep at night, I’ll have my justice even if it isn’t in the Bill of Rights.
The power we possess is the best especially how we and the states are equal.  This right explains the saying “We the People”
Summarizing Unit 5 Lesson 3, the Bill of Rights earns us our Liberty. 
  While haikus included:


1st Amendment:
2nd Amendment
Speech, press, assembly.
Bearing arms, to start
Rights of the first Amendment.
a militia is fine. Thanks
Protects our freedoms.
second amendment.
Amendment 2:
3rd Amendment
I’ll protect myself.
Soldiers, in my house?
I have the right to bear arms.
I don't think so! Not without
This can’t be taken away.
my consent. Get out right now.
Amendment 3:
4th amendment
Soldiers cannot stay.
Search warrants are cool,
Unless welcomed by myself.
Why don't you have one? Stop it
Protects privacy.
you can't search my house.
Amendment 4:
8th amendment
You can’t search my house.
No High fines for my
You must have a search warrant.
bail, or cruel punishment.
This law keeps me safe.
Government in check.
Amendment 6:

If I’m in trouble,

I’ve the right to speedy trials,

And a lawyer too.


The final piece in our study of the Constitution is our October 16th visit to Washington, D.C..  Every student will be given the chance to see the real Constitution as well as many of the important documents that inspired our founding fathers to write this amazing document.  Even after 40 years of visits, I still get goosebumps when I see the real deal.



No comments:

Post a Comment