Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A new NEW year!

Last year, I wrote about starting as a CTE teacher. In my 17th year as a teacher, having only experience teaching "liberal arts" subjects, I was asked if I wanted to teach technology. I was thrilled, daunted, and anxious ... and that was just answering the question. I agreed enthusiastically!

As the year went on, I helped take a lead role in redesigning Albemarle County's Middle School CTE curriculum and bringing our CTE classes to the cutting edge! We renamed classes, changed the descriptions and challenged each other to do more.

This year, rather than Keyboarding, I teach Programming and Coding to 6th graders.



This year, rather than Computer Solutions (including learning about Microsoft Office), I teach Digital Media Communications to 7th graders.

I'm teaching Mechatronics to 8th graders, which is a LOT like building robots!

Mechatronics

And that's just 3 of my classes. Needless to say, I'm really excited! I've already gotten the opportunity to experiment with new technology with our morning news crew, WLHW, and it looks like this year will be filled with green screens, virtual sets, and experimenting with our new Tricaster!

(I talk with my hands) at Tricaster training over the summer!


The back room at WLHW is fully
 utilizing our new Tricaster this year!
The view from our green screen wall
Mr. McElroy watches as our anchors review the script.

It's going to be a great year!





No comments:

Post a Comment