Thursday, September 4, 2014

My Return to Walton


My name is Makenzie Crawford and I am excited to have returned to Walton this year! During the 2011-2012 school year, I was a school counseling graduate student at UVA and I spent three days a week at Walton as part of my internship. When I graduated, I accepted a counseling position at Tye River Elementary School in Nelson County where I had worked for the past two years. While I am grateful for the relationships that I had built during my time at Tye River, I was ecstatic when I heard that a counseling position was available at Walton.


This year I join the Walton Staff as a school counselor and testing coordinator. In previous years, caseloads at Walton were divided equally between the counselors by last name. Due to my added responsibility of testing coordinator, this year I am working with 6th grade students and Mr. Bloor is working with students in grades 7 and 8. As testing coordinator, I manage school-wide testing, including MAP testing and SOL testing. While these tests occur only a few times a year, preparing for them is truly a year-long job.


I have had a wonderful time establishing relationships with our students and families, catching up with staff members, and meeting new staff members. I have also enjoyed seeing the students’ enthusiasm as they begin another year of their education. I can’t wait to see what this year holds for them all!


Makenzie Crawford

School Counselor & Testing Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment