Tuesday, September 3, 2013


First Full Week of Math Classes

Wow – what an exciting start to the year!  I’m fortunate enough to teach 6th, 7th and 8th graders this year.  As you know, middle school is a time of great change both academically and socially, and I get to see a cross section of grade levels daily! 

          My goal with all of my classes is problem solving.  I want my students to see the relevance of the math they’re using in my class to real world situations.  I want them to see math in situations that don’t always scream “Use your math here!” 
 

 
 
 
         With that in mind, the 8th graders completed a task last week that had them use the order of operations to “shop” for a Thanksgiving dinner.   They used a shopping list, store advertisement, and coupons to create a mathematical expression, solved their expression to see if they had enough money, and made well-thought out recommendations about what to do when they found themselves short of money.  

 

My 7th graders are in Integer Operations World!  Using a variety of models, they are in the process of looking for patterns and developing the rules for adding and subtracting signed numbers.  It’s so exciting for me when I hear their “Aha!” moments as they are working and talking within their groups.

 

Lastly, my 6th graders are beginning their study of fractions, decimals and percents.  The students have an upcoming project that has them design a store or a restaurant complete with a catalogue or a menu.  These stores and restaurants will have “shoppers” visit and place orders, and our “merchants” will create accurate sales tickets for the shoppers.  I can’t wait to see their creations!

Each day is a whirlwind of activity, but I have so many great moments to reflect on each evening!  I find myself constantly recreating ways for my learners to learn using the great tools with which they’ve been provided.  It’s a terrific learning experience for me as well.  In the words of Albert Einstein:    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.”

Debbi Skolnick
Math 6th, 7th and 8th J

No comments:

Post a Comment