Monday, September 9, 2013


Hello, Walton!!
As the third week of school came to a close, I felt a new and welcome sense of familiarity and routine in my day. The school year is officially underway! It’s been two years since I’ve been a classroom teacher and I can’t say how much I’m enjoying being back in school. It’s nice to be part of something larger than myself and to feel excited about a shared vision. The hallways are vibrant and constantly changing from one day to the next. I like spending my time a place that feels alive with movement and sound.

Coming into the year, I was appropriately anxious to teach two very separate classes. Now that my anticipation of the year has given way to activity, I can honestly say that AVID and Drama are each such a joy to teach that I wouldn’t have it any other way. AVID is rolling with AVID binders becoming routine and students mastering the basics of Cornell note taking skills. Students are working hard to build their AVID infrastructure for the year. Once the basics are covered there are many fun AVID opportunities ahead this year.

Every day in Drama class I watch students play and explore with one another. It is fun to watch them gain confidence and poise, and with each activity, watch students develop their ability to lead and stand out in the crowd.  

I am excited to see what the school year will bring.            

Tommy McElroy
AVID & Drama

No comments:

Post a Comment