Thursday, September 26, 2013

S.P. E. A.W (Special. Education. At. Walton) A look into collaboration in a new environment



Change is an inevitable reality in the professional world.  As educators, we get familiarized with a routine and essentially become unified with the components of that routine.  This routine includes: schedules, and the development of relationships with colleagues as well as students. The shock of change shakes up that routine and provides a bit of uncertainty for us as educators.  How do they run the school?  Will my students learn from me?  Will my Colleagues welcome me to the family?  The world of Special Education and collaborative teaching is no different.  Special Educators are asked to “wear many hats” as collaborative teachers.  Such responsibility in a new environment can be unsettling for a newcomer. Having supportive collaborative partners and faculty makes the transition happen at a smoother pace.
It can be just as challenging to develop a rapport with a collaborative partner, as it can be to develop a rapport with students.  Adding two different teachers with completely different philosophies can create a barrier in the collaborative classroom environment.  My new collaborative teaching partners have been an “open book” from the first day we began working together.  We have been able to share ideas with each other, and trade off pieces of each other’s techniques in order to provide instruction to our students.  Having such collaborative partners has given me big boost in tailoring lessons to meet the needs of my students.  I learn something new every day during 6th and 8th grade Language Arts, as well as in Civics.

It is refreshing being new to a teaching environment and having an umbrella of support, in my respective teaching content area, or department. As, Special Educators, It would be easy to consume ourselves with our multiple roles of teacher, case manager, and collaborator. The Special Education team at Walton has made my transition into this family awesome. We all work together in many ways to meet the needs of our students. Just the other day, I found myself scratching my head, trying to figure out a way to complete a special education document correctly. Before I could finish my sentence, I had two other special education teachers sitting with me. We all worked to solve the problem together as a group.
I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of what we have going on here at Walton. The staff here have been very open and supportive. I hope that I am as helpful to my fellow collaborators as they have been to me. I am hopeful that we can continue to work together in order to impact our students here at Walton.



No comments:

Post a Comment